A crown is a cap, which covers the whole surface of your tooth. It restores the tooth to its original shape, size, and function. A crown can make the tooth stronger or improve the way it looks. It could be made with a metal frame covered by white (tooth colored) porcelain or from a metal free material. Dental crown can only be placed on a natural tooth. If a missing tooth should be replaced a bridge would be recommended.
Improve your smile
and get back your confidence
What is a dental crown?
When and why do I need a dental crown?
A dentist might suggest having a crown in the following cases:
- the tooth is decayed or has a cavity which is too big for a filling
- having problems but still can be saved and no extraction is recommended
- if you had root canal treatment the crown will protect the tooth
- or you can also have a crown for aesthetic reason simply, when you are not satisfied with the aesthetics of your tooth
What are the pros and cons of a dental crown?
The pros of having a dental crown are:
- you can protect, keep and preserve the healthy part of your tooth
- protect the tooth after root canal treatment
- improve the appearance of a tooth by changing its shape or color
The cons of having a dental crown are:
- may experience discomfort shortly after the work is completed, particularly sensitivity to hot or cold (this can be treated by using a special toothpaste)
- crowns can sometimes be chipped (this could be corrected under the guarantee)
- cementing can get loose in some case, but refitting is possible in most of the cases
Book a FREE dental consultation
- Have a free consultation in London
- Receive your treatment plan instantly
- We will call you back to schedule your appointment